Thursday 29 June 2017

Speak to us of Joy and Sorrow....











A friend asks me if I know any good sayings about love and marriage to have at her daughter's wedding.
Of course my first thought is Kahil Gibran's The Prophet....

And what of marriage, master?
.......love one another but make not a bond of love
...........give your hearts but not into each other's keeping 
for only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.....

And he says lots more. Someone read it for us at our wedding.

This is what he says in answer to

Speak to us of Joy and Sorrow....

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises
was oftentimes filled with your tears.......

........

When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth
you are weeping for that which has been your delight.....
..........

Not always in my case....but I want it to be true.

No words tonight.....the paracetamol has worn off and it's not just my mouth that hurts....can your whole life and soul ache like the torn cavity of a lost tooth?



No comments:

Post a Comment