Friday 23 June 2017

Habit of a Lifetime














I overdid it in the garden today. 
My friend comes with his
hedge clippers
and
gives straggly bushes 
short haircuts.

After he leaves
I carry on 
pruning and 
sweeping and
 up-end
a cavernous
 building bag of 
clippings 
and dead wood
into the 
giant bins
at the re-cycling tip.

I like the idea of 
pacing myself.
Stopping to rest
for a cup of tea,
for lunch.
Stopping before
every muscle and bone
aches
and creaks.

But it's like
trying on 
a shorter shirt
wearing a different
colour.

It feels unfamiliar
to be gentle
and
to listen 
to the voice of
kindness
when it 
applies
to me.

To protect my 
sore
arthritic fingers.

When there is still so much
to do.
While I still can.

And a habit of a lifetime
to change.



No comments:

Post a Comment