Monday 26 June 2017

Ghosts


Delphinium blue.....


Cornflower


Hydrangea..... all in the gardens at Killerton House on Sunday.



I have been upright all weekend.
 Backbone firm, resolute. Al dente.
 Sunday evening though I'm wiping up the crumbs speckling the tea tray
 with a damp blue cloth.
It's the oval wooden tray I used to lay up for his supper every night.
I ate my green salad and slice of pizza from it tonight.
Not thinking about him.

But slotting it away along the side of the food mixer,
next to the small wooden tray I usually use
 the ghost of all those scrambled eggs on toast 
smothered with the sweet chilli sauce he loved,
knocks my breath out.
Pouffe! I am cooked spaghetti,
 and my backbone bends, 
drapes me forwards first over the counter
then loops me down to the hard floor 
a useless carapace for the 
aching hollow 
 where my heart 
used to live.

The ghost of his arms
holding my back
is not enough
to dam
the flood.

I use the damp blue cloth
to wipe that up,
that salty, snotty puddle.

What a wet and messy business
it is 
to mourn 
the heat of
another's heart. 
Solid, regular,
beating
against your own.



No comments:

Post a Comment