Wednesday 21 June 2017

Food For Friends


 Feta, Sweet Potato, Pea and Asparagus Frittata.

Roast chunks of sweet potato, butternut squash and onion quarters in a shallow baking dish. 

When they are soft and catching colour, sprinkle over crumbled feta cheese, petit pois, chopped grilled asparagus spears and sliced fennel and red pepper. 

Pour over the egg mixture - beaten eggs, chopped dill and parsley and spring onion, S &P.

Finish with a fine grating of Parmesan cheese and return to the oven and bake till just cooked through and firm and golden on the top.

 On Sunday, I took this frittata for a lunch to share after a long trek


through the wilds of sweltering Somerset with a lovely walking group of friends. I managed not to expire after two and a half hours - sustained by kind conversation, beautiful views, shady pit stops and bottles of tepid water. And the thought of lunch ahead in a cool farmhouse garden.



Lunch to share today with 2 gorgeous women. My contribution - walnut and roasted pumpkin seed savoury rice with fried banana plantain slices - which I wanted to experiment with. There was a lovely African woman buying plantains in the International Stores where I was shopping so I asked her for a recipe. And she said fry them and serve with a spicy tomato and onion sauce.



I was going to make my standby green beans, garlic and tomatoes but as I didn't have enough green beans I cooked up a mish mash of all the vegetables I had left in the fridge with baby tomatoes and a whole bulb of wet green garlic to serve with the rice and plantains.



It all dovetailed beautifully with the green garden salad, boiled eggs and olives, butter bean hummus, rice, veggie and bean salad and fresh baked Life Changing Loaf of bread containing no wheat flour or yeast. A veritable feast for friends.



But it was the laughing and listening and crying and sharing that nourished me the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment