Thursday 2 March 2017

Come on. Jump Off.



'Let's go on the zip wire', says my 5 year old great-nephew.

I don't think he means me and his grandma.

But when he's had a few whooshing rides,  he says,

Now you.

Is is safe?  I say.
Will it hold my weight?
Is it meant for grown-ups?

It's for everyone, he says, handing me the suspended rubber seat.

Just get on it and go.

I stand at the edge, looking down at the long muddy track below me. 

Come on, he says.
Jump off.
I'm going to race you.

And because he's waiting for me
and because I want him to think 
I'm a cool great-aunty
and because I'm scared 
of falling off
but I'm more scared
of going back
of giving up
of failing


I leap out 
into the air 
and scream
and laugh
at the same time
 and 
sail along beside
 the little boy
who is running next to me
then ahead of me 
as my momentum 
slows 
to a stop.

Yeah, I won, he says.

You did,
I say.

And hug my own little triumph inside me.




No comments:

Post a Comment