Friday 24 February 2017

Grubbiness and Sparkliness and Extra Good








I wish you could smell the perfume of these gorgeous narcissi. It fills the whole kitchen tonight. My kitchen which is almost unrecognisable ....empty and echoey - no curtains or pictures, no photos or chopping boards or clutter on the surfaces. Just black soot smeared walls  - even worse than yesterday since I tried to clean them...with diluted Jif....useless. With a purpose made cutting-through-grease product.... useless. With  the brush attachment of the hoover.... useless.

I give up after 3 hours and phone my decorator who is going to come next week and quote to re- paint it. Maybe I should have started with him.

But at least it's giving me a chance to live in my different kitchen for a while - however messy it is....to think about what I want to put back into the space. And what I want to leave out. A little step from my old life into a new and unknown one.

The walls of my kitchen may be a disaster zone but my oven and hob are a miracle of sparkliness.
All the time that I'm making the walls grubbier  by the minute a lovely man from Wellington, New Zealand is cleaning my extremely dirty, 14 year old cooker - making it more shiny by the minute.
When he's finished - 3 hours later -  it looks like new.

If you have ever thought of getting someone else to clean your cooker and are hesitating  - because of course you can do it yourself - throw caution to the winds and get in 'Oven Gleamers' - miracle workers. The best money I've spent in a long time.



 Tonight -  roasting a tray of almonds and Brazil nuts for the veggie burgers I'm making to take to supper tomorrow with lovely nephews and their little people. I wonder if cooking in an extra clean oven makes the food taste extra good. I makes me feel extra good anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment