Wednesday 22 February 2017

Furry Spring and 'I Heard God Laughing'


Although it's a dull grey drizzly afternoon at Killerton House,



the  delicate crocuses and snowdrops


and starry daffodils are sweet soft carpets of colour flung under the trees.


This magnificent Magnolia Campanelli has only just broken out into beauty.


It's the pink pearl jewel in the crown of the gardens, 


flowering before any of the other magnolias which are still snoozing furry buds on bare branches.


The National Trust has brought in some furry Dartmoor ponies to graze in the woods of the 


estate - to keep the grass down, to encourage wild flowers and small wild life.



This is the resident pussy cat of the big house who doesn't seem to be interested in small wild life. He's usually snoozing in a quiet corner whenever I see him.


Today I'm walking here with a dear friend and we are both fascinated by this furry moss and lichen growing up one of the giant redwood trees. The majestic kings of the garden. I love the peaceful glory of this place growing and changing with each new season.

I felt moments of peacefulness today....
.....Appreciating the sparkling taps in the bathroom after the cleaner has been polishing my house.

...... A big hug from the lovely MND woman who supported us so wonderfully through Robin's illness. I met her for coffee today at a garden centre. For coffee and sharing and remembering.

.........Taking photos of all the free wild spring abundance in the gardens, in the company of my friend.
...........The relief of seeing my latest vegan cake  - a sticky ginger one - rising in the oven.

And tonight the pleasure of re- reading Hafiz - 14th century spiritual Persian poet. A wonderful translation by Daniel Ladinsky of " I Heard God Laughing". Which makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

A tiny taste of him here in a poem called,

MY BRILLIANT IMAGE

One day the sun admitted,

I am just a shadow.
I wish I could show you
The Infinite Incandescence

that has cast my brilliant image!

I wish I could show you
When you are lonely or in darkness,

The Astonishing Light 

Of your own Being!



No comments:

Post a Comment