Thursday 16 February 2017

Envy Jealousy - Both


Crocus.


Pussy willow.


Daphne.


A Poem.



Envy
jealousy

both.

What is the colour of it?

Bilious 
acid 
sulphurous 
yellow.

What is the taste of it?

Bitter 
aloes
chilli
fire.

What is the smell of it?

Stinking 
drains.

What is the texture of it?

Slippery
viscous 
slime.

What is the sound of it?

Raucous
shrieking
nail tearing.

What do you see?

Nothing.

Because it is hidden
safe behind
my smile, 
reassuring. 
Tears 
of course.
It's what you do
when you
grieve.
So you suspect 
nothing
else.

When
 it was for
the children 
I craved
I stopped seeing 
mothers
in the street
except 
through the distorting
haze
of envy
and jealousy.

Now it is 
anyone
with 
partner.

A THE ONE.

A living one.

It's not as if 
I don't know 
how 
messy 
and unwieldy 
it is to
live with,
to 
love
THE ONE.

I don't want 
your husbands.
I don't want 
to be
your wives.

I want 
my 
ONE.

My valentine.

Like  I used to have.

Like you who still have.



No comments:

Post a Comment