Tuesday 3 January 2017

Numb





































































I would have stayed in bed today nursing my cold but I managed to get an emergency dental appointment. To fill a cavity in an already over filled tooth, the rough edge of it has been shredding the edge of my tongue for days.

After 3 injections no hope of eating for a while so I walked instead. Along the river path near Otterton,  following the estuary, through the bird sanctuary, ending up at  Budleigh Salterton's  pebble beach. 
Robin and I have been here so many times but I don't remember walking this particular part of the  path with him. Although I could be wrong. He would know. Not the name of the place where we walked, he wouldn't know it was Budleigh Salterton but he would know exactly where we were and if we had been here before and how to get home ...the long way round ....the scenic route.

But I can't ask him. 



The blue sky and sun are deceptive. It was freezing in the shade, in the muddy lanes untouched by the sun - the puddles like smashed glass. My fingers as numb as my mouth. And I feel flat, frozen inside.

It took 6 hours for the novacaine to wear off. I made a huge pot of leek and pea risotto - creamy and unctuous with a hard cheese I brought back from Portugal and butter and Parmesan. I was finally hungry but it's hard to make risotto for one person so I made enough for ten....and ate enough for four.   So now I have another plastic box of left overs for the freezer.

Unfortunately I have to go back to the dentist tomorrow for  2 more  fillings....and the prospect of another day of not being able to eat or drink or speak properly. At least for me it's only a few hours.

 It was a lifetime for Robin....a lifetime in less than 6 months.





No comments:

Post a Comment