Monday 7 November 2016

The Candle Is Still Burning








 Photos by Rachel Jamieson -  research for her paintings of him.

I did find words for Robin. They came in the end when I stopped trying to capture the whole of him and just let him appear on the page. The man I love.
And tomorrow, after we have buried him, I will stand  up in the Crematorium and read my words knowing they can never say it all....

Now there is nothing left to do....the directions to the crem are printed, everyone's words are written, the tables and chairs are arranged, the plates and glasses are laid out, the cakes are baked, Robin's ceramics are displayed. The hearse will arrive at our front door......and everyone will come  - our families and friends and neighbours and his colleagues and carers...from all over the county to remember him, to honour him. To say goodbye.

Tonight the candle on the kitchen table that I lit for Robin 2 weeks ago is still burning.....I don't want to let it go out....










No comments:

Post a Comment