Wednesday 19 October 2016

'I Dreamed Of Semantia'


This morning I tidied  Robin's office and the cleaner hooverd up the layers of dust under his desk and on the window sill and on the electric keyboard. 

I kept finding the world he inhabited.... the world he created.... the man he was...... in his paintings, in his ceramics, in the books on his shelves, in the papers in his in tray, in everything he wrote. And he wrote so much.
I came across a last entry in a diary on 4th June 2012, recording his dreams..

" I dreamed of 'Semantia' as a kind of toast which I ate all night with fried fish. But it is actually 'semantic dementia'!


Tonight time has run away with me. I find myself in the kitchen still cleaning out the tea cupboard at nearly midnight...throwing away boxes of fruit teabags no one ever drinks - embarrassed to see the sell by date as 2003. 

 And I light two half burnt candles in glasses that I found in Robin's office that I gave him years ago, covered in dust. Time to burn them to the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment