Monday 11 July 2016

The Pig and Sunday Lunch and My Cousins


Saturday evening -  a dear friend treats me to the grand opening party


of 'The Pig' at Combe  -  a new  hotel/ restaurant in a beautiful country house outside Honiton which used to be called Combe Hill House. They have transformed it  - keeping the character of the place but with a modern, classy feel to it.




I loved every minute of my night off .....the hundred strong team of waiters and waitresses kept filling up our glasses  as we wandered through the grounds and gardens .....and there were canapés in the lounges,


 nibbles in the kitchen ,



 flatbreads in the Folly,


 and a barbecue on the terrace... along with musicians and comedians and everyone in their posh frocks.... the air - which was a bit chilly but it didn't matter  - buzzing with class and style and generous abundance.

I didn't want to come home....I had such fun.... so wonderful to step into a fairytale world for just a few precious hours and get a tiny taste of another life - a carefree life -  so far removed from mine now.

On Sunday I cooked lunch for my cousin and his wife, a teriyaki side of salmon and a selection of salads including this grilled asparagus and courgette salad marinated in lemon oil and garlic.



It was so lovely to see them - they used to come for the weekend , but it's too tricky to have visitors  stay overnight now -  and such a treat to cook for people who have good appetites, and eat whole plates of food. We sat and watched the Wimbledon final ( while my kind sister took Robin out for a drive) and  had cups of tea and chocolate rice cakes and laughed a lot.

It was also the anniversary of my mother's death yesterday so it was good to be with all my cousins at a big family party on Saturday in Weston Super Mare, ( only briefly though as Robin wanted to go home), remembering the generations  - all our parents  passed on now -  who started this dynasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment