Tuesday 19 July 2016

Day Two - Beautiful and Foreign



































This morning I get a  lovely unexpected invitation to go to The Pig At Combe for chargrilled flat breads and a bottle of cold Chardonnay at the Folly - the beautiful orangerie in the grounds of the main hotel. Four of us share it this evening, sitting under huge umbrellas, surrounded by giant cedars of Lebannon, rolling views, a flourishing walled kitchen garden and the sun still hot and high in the sky. 

I can say yes because I'm free this week. Free to say yes without having to arrange cover for myself or to get back at a certain time or squish and squash myself around Robin's routine.

 It helps that it is so hot - three baths a day hot - because it's like another country, another time and place so unlike the England I know - a brown grass and steam rising off tarmac England. 

This respite is like being in another country -  beautiful and foreign but knowing a thunder storm is on its way....


No comments:

Post a Comment