Thursday 23 June 2016

Trying to keep him safe....







No hot water this morning. I wash my hair in cold water and boil a kettle to shave Robin. It says low water pressure on the boiler.  I call our nice engineer at 7.30 am and he comes round this afternoon. He is about  to top up the system then I tell him that while I was sitting on the hard hall floor last night  next to Robin lying propped up on the stairs, keeping him distracted while we waited for the ambulance, I noticed that the pipes to the radiator were bent at an angle.

When he examines it he shakes his head in disbelief. The whole radiator has moved several inches to the right, off its brackets, and one of the pipes is leaking water as the valve has loosened.What he can't believe is that Robin did the damage without hurting himself. Don't know yet the repair bill damage. Just grateful it wasn't worse - he thought he might have to take up the floor if the pipes were cracked below.

Robin has a lovely day in Exmouth on the river with his carer from the Mede.  The OT comes and measures the space and I ask her to order the hospital bed which will come next week.I make plans for changing and moving the furniture in the dining room. And de-clutter some of the stuff. Already the big chest of drawers and bookcase have gone to Hospice Care.

All evening I go up and down the stairs with Robin as I've said he can't do it on his own now. Horrid and restricting for both of us. Trying to keep him safe.  Not really working. The place I feel really unsafe is inside....need someone to hold my hand in there.


No comments:

Post a Comment