Friday 10 June 2016

Salsa Verde, Smoothies and Surviving


Tonight the kitchen smells of fresh mint and lemon zest, crushed garlic and roasted cumin, chopped parsley and basil and hot mustard.  The perfumes of  summer even though it's cool and  damp  outside. I'm making salsa verde -  which I always associate with my niece's husband who is a wonderful cook and makes a mean version  - a bright green sauce to pour over baby organic carrots,  scrubbed new potatoes, the first broad beans, the colour of sage, and tender leaves of  purple Russian kale. A perfect distraction from worrying about coughing and  stairlifts and forms to fill in.

I make enough for another day. It'll make the fridge smell of garlic but I don't mind. The fridge is stuffed full of green leaves at the moment as we're  having smoothies for lunch  - lots of kale and cucumber, lime and ginger, apple and celery all whizzed up with avocado or banana and nuts and seeds .....getting some nutrition into Robin ..... in a glass with a straw. Easy to drink and it doesn't take 45 minutes to finish. Better than a sachet of protein powder anyway. 

I'm glad this week is over. To survive each day feels like an achievement. It's enough -  to expect to thrive as well is a step too far for me at the moment.








No comments:

Post a Comment