Thursday 5 May 2016

Two Firsts and Double Hurting








The meeting with Matron, Archangel et al went well. Measured up for ramp/step into the shower, plus fold down seat in the shower. Measured Robin's legs - maybe too long and stairs too narrow for stair lift. Put hospital  bed on order and then on hold.  Loo downstairs maybe too small for transfers etc. Still feel stuck about it all - the when, where and how still unclear. All this lovely help and support on offer and I'm still in a muddle. Robin doesn't want any of it anyway. Not yet.

I leave Robin at The Mede and escape into the farmers' market for greens and  restoring coffee with friends. Then excellent superfood salad and catch up at Jamie Oliver's with old long-time-no-see friend - delicious.

It's boiling hot when I pick Robin up and we drive to Budleigh Salterton because I want the sea. I buy us ice creams in tubs with plastic spoons. We sit on a bench looking at the waves. After two spoonfuls Robin says he doesn't want any more ice-cream and wants to go home. A first in his ice-cream history. I toy with the idea of eating it myself as well as my own pistachio one. But it's rum and raisin which I don't  like. He says take it home. I say it'll melt.

Back home I stick it in the freezer even though it's a lumpy puddle and we walk to the polling station to vote  for councillors and a new police commissioner in the local elections.
I don't know who anyone is so vote Labour and Green Party. Robin can't unfold the ballot papers so I go in the booth with him and hold his hand with the pencil in it and we put wobbly crosses in the boxes marked Labour.  Probably illegal but no-one says anything. Another first in his voting history.

As I was up at 6am,  I'm past caring about anything now. The worst thing being the stinging slits at the ends of my thumbs and fingers. They won't heal and keep opening up. I suppose I don't give them a chance as I use them all the time. I think they are complaining about being the hands for two people now. Double hurting.




No comments:

Post a Comment