Monday 30 May 2016

I Decide It's Time......




















A little swan blessed stroll by the river on Sunday evening.

Saturday  Lunchtime - in a tiny cafe/deli/bakery opposite the Pannier Market in Barnstable Robin cough/chokes on his ricotta spinach turnover.  The waitress brings over a glass of water. The owner comes and asks if everything is OK. The other tables have gone quiet holding their breath while Robin regains his.

 I  decide it's time to give up eating lunch in public.

Saturday night - half past midnight. I have turned the light out. Then I hear a terrible crash and shout. I find Robin on his back in the hallway downstairs.  No blood, no bruises, no broken bones -  a miracle. Between us we manage to haul him onto the bottom step of the stairs and from there he can stand up. 
He  had turned the light out with his elbow and then missed his footing on the first step. At least I think that's what happened.

I decide it's time to get rid of the furniture in the dining room and order the hospital bed.




Sunday morning in the bright sunny garden of a cafe in Dunster Castle in North Somerset, Robin cough/chokes on a gulp of coffee and soft iced coffee cake.

I decide it's time to give up coffee and cake in cafes.

Today in the beautiful green peacefulness of my sister's garden I feed Robin with tiny spoonfuls of chopped up avocado and grilled Halloumi cheese and her own grown asparagus and lettuce. He doesn't cough or choke once. On that or the glass of  still water.



I don't know what to do now. Only eat at home? Risk soft food, soft drinks in a cafe? Walk with him on the stairs ( but not in front of him)? Stay up till he's in bed? Play it all by ear? 

Trust in God but tie up my camel?.....




No comments:

Post a Comment