Wednesday 4 May 2016

Cherry Blossom, Vegetarian Food Assembly and Feeling Nervous





































My walk in the park yesterday. The cherry blossom is for my lovely Japanese friend in Tokyo. I always think of her in this season. She can see the cherry blossom in the street below from her balcony. She says the flowers are over now and the leaves are a beautiful green. 


For lunch today I mixed ground roasted cumin in with the rice and egg mayonnaise, chopped the stems of wild garlic into the salad and scattered the white flowers over the top. It was hot enough to eat on the terrace but Robin preferred to stay inside.

Since he's become vegetarian I've noticed how I don't cook much any more. Not properly anyway.  I just assemble salads or roast vegetables and greens with crumbled cheese and cashew nuts or omelettes or Waitrose Indian snacks or someone else's tarts or veggie sausages. Actually it was before Robin became a vegetarian  - I just do the minimum around food now  - anything quick and easy. 

I know how long it's been since I created a meal from scratch because  tonight I found the ginger root at the bottom of the fridge was wizened and mouldy and the garlic soft and sprouting.  I rescued as much of it as I could, minced it up with red chills and fresh turmeric ( which wasn't so old) and added it to a pan of chopped onion, red cabbage and sliced apples to make a spiced accompaniment to the roast butternut squash and ruby chard which we had with an Indian pea and lentil burger from Tescos.
I miss playing in the kitchen. I know I can make lovely vegetarian food - better than Mr Tesco -  just not at the moment when everything is in flux and I can't think properly let alone be creative with lentils.

Tomorrow we have a meeting here at 8.30am with two Community Matrons, the Occupational therapist, the neuro physiotherapist, tattoo man from social care and archangel M. They are all here to help us, advise about next steps and I'm so grateful. So I don't know why I feel so nervous.


No comments:

Post a Comment