Friday 18 March 2016

Tattoo Man, Chatty Hairdresser, Mystery Gift Book and Respite Friends







Some moments from today.....

The nice young  man from social services is 10 minutes early. I ask him to wait while I help Robin put on his wrist splint and tie his shoe laces and zip up his coat and blow his nose. It's still too early for our friend who is coming to take him out but he wanders outside anyway and walks up and down the street with the two bunches of narcissi for her sticking out of his coat pocket. I hover by the front door till she comes.

 I'm glad the man from social services can see this so he doesn't think I'm exaggerating when I say I need some respite.  After we have been through the form again and re-assessed Robin's needs, especially because of the swallowing thing, he says my care budget is likely to go up. But it's all academic anyway as I will be self funding any care package they can offer. When he leaves I notice that he has a small tattoo on the back of his neck as well as the very dense and intricate ones snaking up both his arms. I imagine it must have been painful at the time.

At the hairdresser this afternoon the young woman who cuts my hair tells me long and funny stories about everything that's going wrong at the house she's just bought and moved into. Like the fridge freezer that won't go through the front door, is abandoned by the delivery men, who say they can't wait for someone to take the door off its hinges, and is now sitting in her garden not to be collected till Sunday. 

I don't think she's really concentrating on cutting my hair. The friend  -  another friend -  who brings Robin home after looking after him this afternoon says she can't really see any difference in my before and after haircut. Which confirms my suspicions.....but not sure I can face changing hairdressers again.

 Later a surprise delivery from Amazon in the post. A book I haven't ordered. At first I think I've forgotten I ordered it but as I don't recognise the title I realise someone has sent it to me as a gift. It's called, Making It up As You Go Along by Marian Keyes. 

Inside the fly cover it says,

.....a bold brilliant book bursting with Marian's hilarious and heartfelt observations on modern life, love and much much else besides.....like her guide to breaking up with your hairdresser.

So it has arrived just in time. Thank you lovely mystery person. 

And thank you lovely friends who take Robin out, and who are so brilliant with him who and give me    wonderful respite and keep me sane....there is no price on that.








No comments:

Post a Comment