Monday 15 February 2016

Marmalade and Snowdrop For My Aunty



 Whenever I make Seville orange marmalade these days I make it in memory of the dear members of my family who have recently passed away in the winter months of January and February.  Yesterday it was my aunty.

On Saturday I made nine jars. I used muscovado sugar and it came out dark as blackstrap molasses. I had to turn off the bubbling pan half way through because the brother of a friend came to buy my old car. He made it easy and painless  - paid cash and drove it away. It took about five minutes. I didn't feel a thing - I did love my old Toyota but I'd already let it go. And it's clear Robin won't be driving again. Unless the treatment works and he recovers strength in his arms.


 To celebrate we drove out to Quickes Farm Cafe at Newton St Cyres where the food is consistently excellent. I had this unctous baked potato oozing melted Cheddar cheese and butter.


The last time we came I had this roasted vegetable tart tatin and



Robin enjoyed the homity pie, brioche and borek platter because it wasn't too much and he could mostly eat it in his fingers - apart from the coleslaw.




Afterwards we walked a little way along the banks


of The Great Western Canal at Tiverton, forever associated in our minds with my father's 
ninetieth birthday celebration with the family.



I kept Robin walking by looking for the next duck,


just around the next bend to add to my excessive collection of duck photos,


These ones  sitting  perfectly  still in the bullrushes.










Yesterday I felt so sad when I heard that my aunty died.  She and her family were very special to us when we were growing up in Africa. I was a bit frightened of her as a child but as a grown up I discovered she had the kindest most loving heart and an infectious laugh always worth waiting for.

More than anything I feel deeply sad for my two cousins who have lost both their parents and their brother in little more than a year. 

My aunty always nurtured wonderful gardens wherever they lived. This snowdrop is in honour and gratitude for the memory of her in my life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment