Thursday 11 February 2016

Gluten-Free Freedom























The Quay at Topshan this afternoon after I pick Robin up from the Mede. I was hoping for a little walk but he was tired from his full day. I don't mind it - I'm just happy he had a good day. I did too.

The man with the electro- magnetic, bio-feeback machine tests me for food intolerances. The needle goes way over the mid point and makes a high pitched squeaking whine when he tests me for wheat and gluten So I'm avoiding them - basically bread and anything made with wheat flour  i.e. cakes and biscuits and pizza and pastry.

But I know there are lots of alternatives so it's not so hard.  This morning  I sat with three luscious women in a tiny cafe and ate a  gluten free cream cheese chocolate brownie - rich and dense and satisfyingly sticky.

This evening after our Deeksha meditation  I ate a slice of birthday cake  - gluten-free apple and almond cake smothered in cream cheese icing and fresh raspberries - light and lovely  - perfect for the birthday girl.

So far gluten-free hasn't been a hardship .....but it could be if I added in dairy-free and sugar-free which I'm aiming for. But I already know there are wonderful alternatives out there - like almond milk and coconut sugar ....once I make the leap of faith...... lay down a bright line which is not  to be crossed.....testing my tolerance....the freedom of no choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment