Thursday 25 February 2016

Emergency Toilet Stop and My Clan






The sky was often just like this driving to and from Sheffield the last two days  - great bolts of shimmering silk streaming out from any gap in the clouds - a giant fan of light and hope.

Tonight I had the best hot bath ever after driving five and a half hours back down the motorways from  Sheffield. We stopped twice - once  for a cup of tea and  half chocolate dipped cookies at the excellent Gloucester Services and Farm  Kitchen Shop. The second time was for an emergency toilet stop. We were stuck in roadworks on the M42....rather a hairy drive to the nearest services which were not very near. Luckily I had 'equipment' with me and  was very grateful for the spaciousness of a disabled toilet.
Apart from the distress of all that Robin was mostly quiet on the journey. Even with the radio on, we had very few PBWs , mostly teeth-nashing and burping instead.  And lots of requests about when he was going to next see the family and our friends.

Although there has been too much recent illness and loss and dying in the family it was so good to be with my cousins and their families today at the services for my aunty who was nearly 95. She was an amazing, formidable, deeply caring and inspiring woman. She studied geography at Cambridge university in the days when they didn't award degrees to women and had to wait till her eighties to receive it. Hard to believe that was ever the case.

All the women in my big extended family are amazing. And so are the men.  Today I was reminded how much I love my clan and how proud and privileged I am to belong to them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment