Tuesday 19 January 2016

Small Manageable Bites/Big Worries in the Wings





















More ducks at the bird sanctuary at Torcross, South Devon on Saturday. I kept stopping on the way to take photos, while Robin waited patiently in the car with the radio on. 

Today

 I take small, manageable bites out of my day - leave my big worries in the wings - and while Robin is out with his lovely Age UK enabler and then with dear friends, I spend this gift of precious hours on me.

Pick up velcro-fastening, blue checked slippers and black leather shoes that I ordered from the mobility/disability shop for Robin. They fit. He likes them.

Go to the post office to return a parcel - the nice elasticised waist rugby trousers I bought online for Robin which I thought would help with the button/zip/belt problems he has. Unfortunately they have a draw string waist which he can't tie. They don't fit. He doesn't like them.

Drop off our kingsize cotton counterpane at the cleaners..... I can't guarantee to remove yesterday's brown stains  and anyway it won't fit in my washing machine.

Fill a white baguette with smoked mackerel and mayonnaise for Robin's lunch. Make a huge salad for myself. He can't eat anything green or healthy while he prepares for his colonoscopy on Thursday.

It almost hurts to watch him eat a plate of rich tea biscuits, caramel rice cakes and meringues for supper -  he refuses anything else -  while I pile my plate with brown rice, flaked tuna and bright green purple sprouting broccoli. Feel as if I'm eating double chlorophyll for both of us to counteract the sugar - ridiculous of course.

Notice how MY time is still full of Robin. So in my last precious hour I fill a little bowl with Gogi berries and cashew nuts, make a cup of mocha with almond milk and watch an episode of Endeavour on iPlayer...escape into Oxford - a place close to my heart - in the sixties. 

So when I come back I feel a little softer and can take a closer, less panicky look at my big worries in the wings.















No comments:

Post a Comment