Monday 18 January 2016

Sea Change




































The estuary at Kingsbridge, The South Hams on Saturday.  We were heading for Dartmouth for fish and chips at the Rock Fish cafe but I missed the turn,  so we ended up at The OId Bakery in Kingsbridge  for tapas and grilled sea bream  which was excellent but didn't quite compensate for my disappointment.

Today was a watershed....a sea change..... in my caring role. They sound clean and fresh those words. Maybe it's more of a gear shift that I'm facing now.....not sure if it's a higher or lower gear - grinding the gears anyway.

Robin isn't getting himself clean after going to the loo because of the uselessness of his hands. I've known it's coming, been dreading it.... and today for the first time I had to wipe his bum. Horrid for him and for me. Can't get my head around the implications - just feels like slipping off the end of the pier...... and now I have to start swimming in deep water....... but will definitely need water wings.

As well as disposable gloves and large wet wipes.....and talking to the GP and The OTs  and  Social Care about my options, my water wings are things like having a massage and listening to those dear people who embrace me with such love and care and  say - you need some time for you - whatever it takes - make you the priority. 

Now that really would be a sea change.


No comments:

Post a Comment