Monday 14 December 2015

A Boulder Lodged...




















Sunday afternoon, driving the high road between Sidmouth and Exmouth, I pull over on the side of the road, get out of the car with my camera to take photos of the sun streaking through a gap in the clouds like an angel's fan.

 Behind me in the car Classic FM is playing on the radio. I can hear Robin singing 'Poo Bum Willy' to the tune of a Christmas carol  - Deck The Halls with Boughs of Holly. He recognises the tune but the words mean nothing to him.

It isn't his singing that's distracting me though. It's a boulder lodged in my solar plexus. Been there for 2 days and 2 nights. Ever since I read about Motor Neurone Disease. How nearly all Robin's recent symptoms match the description. Even without the results of the MRI scan it's glaring at me in the face now.

But I keep turning my head, paralysed by what it could mean.  A different life on the horizon hurtling towards us. I wish it could be ushered in with the trust of angel wings instead of the fear of breathing apparatus and hand rails in the house.



No comments:

Post a Comment