Wednesday 14 October 2015

Time To Let It go

















At the allotment this morning I pull up tough straggling weeds choking the strawberries and the asparagus plants in the raised beds. I hack down a swathe of nettles in the long grass smothering the paths. The flopping trailing tomato plants, taller than me, end up on the compost heap.

 I can't /don't want to do it on my own anymore....feel overwhelmed by the weeds and the responsibility and the time commitment. It's time to let it go.....a relief really. I'm sad to lose all the soft fruit and the plums, the asparagus and the artichokes - although there may be a way to dig up the asparagus and re-plant them somewhere else. It was always Robin's allotment....

I defrost the freezers this afternoon - find things I'd forgotten about. So this evening I make an Indian curry for supper with fresh turmeric and chilli, curry leaves, coconut and tomatoes, cod fillets and prawns....and dollop it over a pile of brown rice and swiss chard to soak up the sauce.

I make room in the freezer for the end of of my gorgeous raspberry layered shortbread birthday cake and the remainder of the tart tatin I made for my sisters on Saturday. It  was a wonderful extension of my birthday day -  some of  which I spent with friends, including sharing  a fabulous courgette and walnut cake - and some of which I spent with Robin when he bought me coffee and an almond croissant in Waitrose. 
So I have been seriously celebrated with cake this birthday - explains why I need to freeze it - keep it for another, less sweet day.


No comments:

Post a Comment