Tuesday 13 October 2015

This Daisy Is For Her



When we were staying in the Cotswolds last week I took a trip down memory lane, re-visted some old haunts in Oxford where I lived from the age of 16 - in this house ( much smarter than it was then) with my parents. We parked  across the other side of the road and I took a photo - didn't feel able to knock on the door and say I lived here 45 years ago.

But it did bring back very vivid memories of those times - including that 3 day week -  and the young woman I was then - all the intensity of my last years at school.... making friends....my first boyfriend....my broken heart.....my family breaking up..... coming back together....leaving for Uni....coming back from Uni... working in M&S in the vacs...my first true love.....my broken heart....breaking his...my traumatic teaching practice....and that hot hot summer when all the grass died.....the year I left home for good....grew up...grew away.

During that time I met my best friend at University. Our lives diverged over the years...she married ( I was her bridesmaid),  had her family, settled in Scotland. But we always stayed in touch....saw each other somehow.... when we could. 

Yesterday, her beautiful, brave daughter died after a long struggle with cancer....her life that was just beginning over so soon.

This daisy is for her - for her mother and her father and her sisters -  and huge gratitude for the  beauty and the light and the love she brought to us all.


No comments:

Post a Comment