Monday 10 August 2015

Resisting Happiness


On Saturday we set out for picnic at Barrington Court ( NT) up the A303 in  Somerset. Seeing the traffic ahead at almost a standstill we took a diversion outside Honiton and ended up at Wolford Chapel set in secluded green glade of peacefulness. Not a soul around to disturb our picnic on a bench in the shade, which seemed to be waiting for us, and us alone. I didn't want to leave this still small oasis of calm.

 



On Sunday we set out with our picnic to visit Compton Castle ( NT) near Paington in South Devon. A  mad idea to travel to the English  Riviera of the South on a Sunday in the middle of August. Traffic terrible. When we finally got there it was closed - only open 3 days a week.


So we took a detour via Shinner's Bridge at Dartington and had our picnic in the grounds of The Cider Press Centre on a bench overlooking the kitchen at Cranks Restaurant where I worked as a cook 36 years ago. Such a very odd feeling to remember the woman I was then. Even odder to sit at the same wooden table where I had my interview for the job with the then manager, sharing a slice of carrot cake with my husband. The recipe hasn't changed for 36 years - I'd recognise it anywhere - coconutty, cinnamony. I've had better carrot cakes since.


Afterwards we walked along the river path towards Totnes and past these curious Jersey cows,


munching on green blackberries.


I wondered at the hardiness of her mouth to cope with the brambles.


The first tomato crop from the greenhouse at the allotment this evening.


I used them up in a chunky avocado salsa which we had for supper -  fragrant with the last of the basil leaves - still warm from the sun - spread on garlicky toasted crostinni.


The poppies are over.....


storing their seed in their heads.....


and the carrots tops going to flower....


 and a bed of globe artichokes on someone else's allotment ....


also left to go grow mauve tufted hair.


At the hospital this afternoon I was expecting Robin to have an MRI scan for his head. I'm sure that's what the physiotherapist referred him for. But it was for a shoulder and neck X-ray instead.  So the journey to uncover the source of his arm and hand weakness continues. 

We make a detour on the way home to Sainsbury's to see if we can find caramel coated cashew nuts.  He  bought some in the market in Honiton on Saturday from the Nut Man, and keeps asking if we can make some. I'm resisting it - all that sugar. Luckily we find something similar in the supermarket and so I give in. How can I resist his happiness..... why am I trying to anyway.....so little else for him to be happy about.


2 comments: