Tuesday 7 July 2015

Turning The Page


On Sunday, my sister and I are invited to our niece's family hen do at Kew Gardens. It's a beautiful blue hot afternoon.  After lunch at the Orangerie, finished off with these pure heavenly home made chocolates, we take the Tree Walk up 


into the sky with views of the gardens and the glass houses which are being renovated and covered in white plastic sheeting.


 It's like being able to reach out and touch the green roof of the world.


We find these ducks


 basking on the green lake,



and this shady heron on an island in the middle.


Crossing the bridge .... 



you could be in the middle of the country.





Kew Gardens are in Heathrow's flight path. Not that this statue by  




Henry More takes any notice. We end the day with tea, sticky iced cakes and ice-creams sitting on the dry brown grass in the shade and talk the talk of the wedding. We talk of 'something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue'  and I give my niece her grandmother's wedding ring to wear on the day, on another finger. 

 If she was here, my mother, I know she would be very happy for her and her lovely man - as I am -  exchanging vows tomorrow.....turning the page deep into a new chapter of their lives.

This afternoon I made the first of two cakes I'm taking to their big wedding celebration on Saturday  to add to the dessert table which I know will be laden with lots of luscious puds from some of the wedding guests - she calls us the Dessert Divas. Mine is my ubiquitous Lemon Polenta Cake with an Orange Honey Glaze. I mustn't forget to buy the raspberries and blueberries to decorate it with. These days it's the sort of important thing that's quite likely to slip my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment