Friday 10 July 2015

The Colours Of Sunrise And Of Love





























These are the colours of my niece's wedding - nasturtium and peach, sweetcorn and coral,  tomato and  rose, sunsets and lemons - splashed around the marquee in the jugs of flowers, in the gingham bunting slung from the chandeliers, in the rows of little plants in the centre of the tables, in the ribbons round their necks.

This afternoon while we wait for the delayed table clothes and cutlery and fridge to arrive I stand with the gallant team of helpers around a long wooden table in the sun. We line one hundred and twenty terracotta pots with a layer of cling film, and transfer the little flowering plants, the colours of sunsets, into them  - they will be both table decorations and favours for the guests to take home. While the bride is off  having a trial hairdresser's appointment I assist another team of helpers to tie the sunshine ribbons round their necks.

By the time I leave the cutlery still hasn't arrived but the marquee looks gorgeous and somehow it'll all get done. So I wish them a beautiful wedding day tomorrow bathed in the colours of sunrise and of love.

And now I must go and paint my toe nails red and iron Robin's shirt.....



No comments:

Post a Comment