Wednesday 27 May 2015

A Good Life?











This climbing rose in the garden has never been more beautiful, covered in buds and blooms, but mostly they are out of reach -  flowing over the fence into next door's garden, preferring to embrace the sky on flying wayward stems rather than to grace my kitchen in a vase.

When the phone rings this morning I'm already ensconced in the back garden pottering about with  old tulip bulbs, new geraniums and my own well rotted compost (thank you, brother, for teaching me how to make it so the brindling worms can do their work). It's the care worker on the phone from Robin's walking group to say she's running late - leaving him at a loose end.  So I abandon my pots and we bake biscuits together to fill in the time - a batch of chocolate chip cookies and flapjacks - a simpler version of my nut and seed and coconut recipe.

After he leaves it's a while before I return to my potting. I put in a call to a friend who is helping me fill in the long details of The Carer's Assessment form which I have to fill in before my appointment on Friday. Questions like

Does your caring role interfere with your sleep?
How often have you felt cheerful and in good spirits in the last 2 weeks?
Do you feel you have control over your everyday life?
What does a good life look like for you and how can you achieve that?

 At the moment a good life feels like someone else's life.

A bit later a nice woman from Social Care rings to talk about the re-assessment of needs that I've asked for for Robin.  She says we'll have to wait up to 4 weeks for an appointment. But at least the ball has started rolling.

I just manage to get three geraniums planted in glazed pots for the patio before I need to leave for my appointment at The Mede. A lovely woman who was a nurse has set up a Care Club for people with dementia in a beautiful house with a garden and views of the river at Topsham. She also provides respite care in the similar house next door.  It feels like a warm and friendly home where Robin could spend the day being occupied, stimulated and cared for in the company of kind people where they give him lunch and a room to sleep in if he wants.....and I could have a day off. I cry with relief on the way home just with the thought of it.

A tiny glimpse of a good life.



No comments:

Post a Comment