Friday 17 April 2015

Common Ground


At the allotment - the radishes are up!


The hub of ruby rhubarb.


They will be blackcurrants....or redcurrants - can't remember which bush is where.


Baby globe artichoke


in its nest of silver green curls.


Probably/definitely a blackcurrant flower.


Radiccio/bittter endive.


Purple sprouting broccoli.


Caterpillar curled up waiting for me to go away so it can go on chomping this comfrey leaf.


I accidentally stood on  the top of this post and broke open a nest of red ants which have a powerful sting - I have experienced them often.


Last year's cabbage gone to seed but still cabbagily edible.


Russian kale flowers also edible and colourful in salads.


Forsythia gold.


Forget-me-not blue.

It's late so just some moments from my day.....

I get ready for the cleaner, tidy up - he cancels at the last minute so I mop the floors and hoover the carpets and remember why I have him because all the bending hurts my back.

I pay the car tax and talk to the mortgage people about the possibility of paying off the mortgage in a few months. Try and imagine life without a mortgage. Tell Robin how deeply grateful I am that he worked so hard for all those years which means that now we are in sight of owning our home - what he always wanted.

Half way through watering the allotment it starts to rain - or rather just drizzle a bit - not enough to sink in to the soil - so I carry on lugging the watering cans to and fro and imagine my arms getting longer stronger by the minute. Thrilled the radishes are showing even though I'm not a huge fan but Robin is.

Our lovely support worker at the Alzheimer's Society phones me and says he's never come across anyone in Devon and Cornwall -  over 3,000 clients  - with Robin's type of dementia. Yesterday the lovely CPN said she'd only ever met 3 other people with Semantic Dementia - so it's very rare. Even though it comes under the Fronto Temporal Lobe dementias it means it's hard to compare it...or look for common ground (except increased attraction to all things sweet seems to be very common) ....or make any predictions about it.

Which means making it up as I go along....using common sense.....being human....being loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment