Thursday 19 March 2015

Going On Holiday








Getting ready to go on holiday for a week tomorrow. My flip flops have gone mouldy  - I scrub them along with my husband's shoes which are covered in mud after his walk this morning. I wash my summer scarves and hang them on the line in the sun - first time this year to have washing outside - makes me feel hopeful.

The fridge is nearly empty - I've been deliberately running it down. I find big bunches of dill and sage and parsley in the salad drawer and chop them up to make an omelette aux fines herbs which we have with the last of the rainbow bright Swiss chard leaves, speckled with chips of garlic and ginger and a sweet earthy beetroot. My husband would rather have toast and jam for supper but my faith in green vegetables as a cure for all ills is unshakeable - non negotiable even. I know he'll have a huge plate of biscuits and sweets afterwards so I try and get in there with a little dose of nutrition first.

I'm probably wasting my time and energy - at least my attachment to being right about what's good and bad food is more likely to raise my blood pressure than the poison of sugar itself....one more battle to give up..... one step closer to surrender.

Meanwhile I have to negotiate my way through the piles of T-shirts and trousers and long sleeved tops laid out on the bedroom carpet and whittle them down to fit in my suitcase....and try and remember that going on holiday is supposed to be fun......not the ordeal I fear it may be, however beautiful the country....finding ways to fill the long hours after lunch when my husband must find something to do.

Back soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment