Friday 13 February 2015

A Gift of Coleslaw


A friend comes to visit with this gift of Beetroot, Red Cabbage and Carrot Slaw made by her young neighbour from a Yotam Ottolenghi recipe which he cut out from a Sunday newspaper. 


It's packed with sweet sour pungent flavour, crisp and soft and a glorious deep claret colour. We have it for supper along with a seriously Cheddar cheesy and spring onion omelette,  crunchy roast potatoes, carrots and parsnips, velvet sweet slow cooked leeks and my current favourite greens - Purple  Sprouting Broccoli  - jazzed up with ginger, garlic ( beautifully finely chopped by my husband who is great sous chef) and crushed pecan nuts ( American, in this case) fried in coconut oil and stirred into the greens.



 As my friend is a fantastic cook and expert in Asian cuisine she buys us these Mini Egg Tarts from the Chinese supermarket by the car park on our way home from our Lebanese cafe lunch in town. She recommends the best Thai coconut milk and prawn crackers to buy and now I've found a supply of fresh turmeric and galangal....so I'll be going back there. Going back for more little tarts as well as I might just have found a new melt in the mouth addiction ( my current one is the Portuguese custard tart - Pastel de Nata) so thank goodness they are tiny....

This is the recipe for the Beetroot and Red Cabbage Slaw http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/nov/11/spiced-lamb-shanks-recipe-ottolengh- luckily I bought a small red cabbage and six beetroots in the market on Thursday so I'll be making my own version - thinking I'll use the Lebanese Pomegranate Molasses from Beirut that my niece gave me instead of sherry vinegar and maple syrup for that sweet sour touch.

My husband doesn't know what Valentine's Day is but I've said we'll make pizza together tomorrow night - just another way to be friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment