Thursday 13 November 2014

Chocolate Coconut Fudge Cake




The last piece......

of the chocolate fudge cake that I was so worried about not being cooked last night. I brought it home for my husband after the birthday girl had blown out the candles -  I cut it into very skinny slivers so it stretched to 12 people - who all said it was delicious and not too raw or rich after all.

The  original recipe was given to me by a friend so I'm not sure where it comes from but this is the version I made - gluten and dairy free.

Chocolate Coconut Fudge Cake

250g dark chocolate (70 percent cocoa solids)
250g coconut oil
4 medium eggs separated
200g soft brown sugar
100g ground almonds

For the icing

400ml can chilled coconut milk ( thick solid layer separated from the water)
150g dark chocolate
Maple syrup/honey/ icing sugar to sweeten
Grated zest of an orange

Method
Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Line a  23cm springform tin with silicone/greaseproof paper.
Melt the chocolate ( cut into pieces) and the coconut oil in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir occasionally till all melted.
Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl till thick and creamy.
Stir in the melted chocolate and coconut oil.
Fold in the ground almonds.
Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl till they hold soft peaks.  Loosen the mixture with a couple of spoonfuls of egg white and then carefully fold in the rest, keeping in as much air as possible.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 30 - 35 mins till only just set. It should still wobble slightly in the centre but not be raw when you test it with a skewer.
Leave to cool in the tin and then turn out.
( The original recipe uses butter instead of coconut oil and suggests serving it with creme fraiche or cream.)

I made this coconut icing instead.

Chill a can of coconut milk in the fridge. Pour off the thin liquid and scoop the creamy solids into a bowl and whisk well. Melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering water and add to the coconut along with a few spoons of honey or maple syrup and whisk again. Adjust the sweetness to your own taste by adding more honey or syrup.

Spread over the top of the cake and sprinkle with shards of toasted coconut flakes.

I think I'll experiment a bit more with this recipe - reduce the sugar and coconut oil.....increase the ground almonds.... will keep you posted.

I'm going away tomorrow for 3 days with my sisters to an ACIM conference in Buckinghamshire - leaving my husband in the tender care of friends and brother-in-law during the days - but alone at nights. I'm feeling a bit anxious about that but practising my new trust gene - wrapping us all in the Light and then letting go....





No comments:

Post a Comment