Monday 8 September 2014

Upside Down Jam and Heart of Wonder




Yesterday my sister and I picked this glorious bounty from her vegetable garden - for me to take home. She and my brother-in-law are in the air right now on their way to Boston  - the beginning of their 5 week semi-round the world trip. So I'm keeping an eye on their house and garden and get the wonderful benefit of as many of the raspberries and kale and borlotti beans and cucumbers I can pick. And there's a cornucopia of them.... lucky me.


This afternoon I drizzle these figs with honey and lemon juice and 


roast them till they are burnished tender amethysts and their juices run red as rubies.


The Victoria plums are destined for jam but when I fill the bottles the small halved fruits rise to the top leaving the clear pinky amber syrup below.


I remember reading somewhere that turning the bottles upside down brings the fruit and the jam back together. But I think it has just made the lids sticky in my case. It does taste wonderfully perfumed and plummy though.





Saturday was the start of Devon Open Studios fortnight when 200 artists all over Devon open their homes and studios to exhibit their work to the public.  It was also the start of a gorgeous Indian summer. We drove out to Ashburton on Dartmoor in a lovely 23 degrees heat to view some of Tati Dennehy's amazing sculptures dotted all around her fairy grove garden - in the trees, in the pond, in the undergrowth, in the flower beds. She has been a huge inspiration and support to my husband who has been attending her classes for many years. He calls her a genius. I agree with him - a genius with an angel's heart of wonder.


















 You can check out Tati's work Here.http://www.tatidennehy.com/index.aspx



No comments:

Post a Comment