Wednesday 3 September 2014

Taking Exquisite Care





I spent this afternoon in the company of my beautiful 7 month old great niece who is an absolute delight - in awe of her curiosity..... her cheerfulness...... her sweetness..... her dexterity...... her joy..... her concentration......  her stillness....her trust...... her knowing when she's bored ....when she's hungry .....when she's tired.....when she's had enough.

It was only an afternoon - wouldn't have missed it for anything -  but I was knackered too.  I don't  know how you do it - all you parents and grandparents out there -  day and night -  taking exquisite care of these precious little people - for all of us. Thank you.

I just read Samantha Reynolds latest poem AWE  - I know she has a baby and a little one....She says it perfectly....and after today I know exactly what she means....

Awe

I read an article today
about how time slows down
when we experience awe 

which of course 
they suggest in doses
of museums
icebergs
opera

if only we could
slide inside your world

lifting the curtain
trapping the light
with your little hand

how easy you make it look
to suspend
one moment
forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment