Friday 5 September 2014

Poisoned Chalice




I cut this  single rambling rose this morning - it has a fabulous scent. I haven't been able to pick any of the others all summer as they have been way out of reach - dancing in the sky above the fence. This afternoon our gardener pruned the whole exuberant mass down to it's core -  so no more buds till next year.


My husband brings home a few late sweet peas from the allotment.


I put them in a vase with a rescued rose bud and some purple buddlia flowers before the gardener chops up the 20 foot branches and ties them up into long straggly  bundles for my husband to take to the recycling dump tomorrow.

This quote comes from Shift Happens -  Daily Inspiration by Robert Holden.

"When the receiver is ready, the gift appears."
Chuck Spezzano

I'm sure that's true....I'm also thinking that when the receiver isn't ready the gift can feel like a poisoned chalice.

Today I notice that confronting my husband about something we disagree about is about as futile as calling up a friend on a toy telephone and expecting an answer.
I already know confrontation doesn't work and still I open my mouth.... and the words that won't have any effect come spilling out.....and I'm left drowning in the sorrow of my own making - dialling the air.

One day I truly will see my husband's brain disease as a gift - a different one for both of us  - and I will learn to see him as my greatest teacher.
Today wasn't that day.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment