Monday 1 September 2014

Howling At The Moon




Tonight the huge half moon looks as if it has slipped down the sky and will fall into the city any minute. It's so close to the rooftops  -  a  crescent of luminous pale gold  - reflecting the street lights..... I take several photos but they are smudged blurs - my camera is dying.

If I could take a sensory snapshot of what its like in my world tonight it would be this....

I hear :
 a dog bark
next door
my square-faced clock ticking
my husband's sharp loud cough
downstairs
and his nose blowing.

I smell :
the acrid smoke from the salmon fillets
I grilled for supper
on top of the sweet vinegary aroma of the apple and walnut chutney 
I cooked for hours this afternoon.

I see :
the reflection of my old green angle-poise lamp
in the corner of the laptop screen
my father's smile
in the framed photo on my desk
smiling at me 
that afternoon in the bluebell wood
searching for memories of my mother.

I feel :
heavy - 
the waistband of my jeans tight round my tummy
cold -
my toes blue numb in flip-flops
and 
heart-heavy
with want - 
wanting it to be better 
than it really is.

I taste :
the sourness of despair
stinging my tongue
eating away
my resolve
to be brave and good
and kind.

I want to howl at the moon
but it has fallen silently
 out of the sky.










No comments:

Post a Comment