Thursday 21 August 2014

Weddings and Funerals




Haldon Belverdere ( Lawrence Castle)


View from the top....the Exe estuary and summer Devon fields. 



My brother brings a yellow rose in a pot this morning all the way from Holland.

This afternoon my husband drives us out to Haldon Woods - one of his favourite places to walk/have tea and cake in the forest park.
We park next to Haldon Belvedere (More info at) an eighteenth century tower which is now used as a wedding venue.
My husband says he'd like to be buried there. Then he says he means have a meeting of everyone there after he's dead. His funeral, his wake. I think it's only for weddings though.

Many years ago -  on a hot April afternoon -  my friend catrered a wedding there....I was one of the waitresses.... I remember the bride - she was sweet and nervous and asked her father to hold her dark framed glasses during the ceremony. I remember writing something about it at the time in a journal. I've just been looking for it in my desk drawer - can't recall the date though and got distracted by another journal I wrote for 6 months in 2006.

 A mistake opening a door into the past - such a recent past - the woman that wrote that belongs to another life, another world..........so familiar but almost unrecognisable now. A life where it never occurred to me that every day I'd need to help my husband search for words like wedding and  funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment