Friday 22 August 2014

A New Pen






Lyme Regis/Golden Cap today on the Friday of August bank holiday weekend.

My brother and sister and I sit for a long time after we finish our salad lunch in the cafe,
 the bill waiting unpaid on the table,
 the sun sneaking in under the umbrella, 
burning our arms,
 an empty chair next to me
where my husband was sitting
before he drove home.
 Missing our big sister,
to knit us into four again
one last time.
 The tears coming easily behind my sunglasses as we talk, 
realising I can't go on like this,
 trying to make it normal. 
Like tweaking a recipe,
 adding a spice, 
reducing the sugar
 and trusting it'll still taste the same
 or better 
 but still sweet.

It's a totally different cake now
  beyond tweaking.
 Only re-writing will do.
With a new pen
filled with the ink
 of Grace.






No comments:

Post a Comment