Tuesday 1 July 2014

Not Blackcurrants and Feeling Squashed

At the allotment on Sunday


They come back every year these globe artichokes - however much we neglect them.


This was our lunch today - the leaves torn off and their tender tips dipped into a dreamy garlicky tahini dressing.


They just keep coming -  these asparagus spears - growing inches in the night - like Topsy.


My husband planted lavender bushes in the corners of the beds when he first made them all those years ago and now they take up half the bed and half the growing space but I love them and wouldn't have it any other way.


New everlasting spinach - the more you pick the more it grows - how magical is that.


I hope this isn't the kind of butterfly that is going to shred all the squash leaves into tatters...like a Cabbage White one....at least not the butterfly but its grubs...


These are the weeds I can never keep on top of.


The strawberry crop( two beds) is so meagre there isn't even enough to make one pot of jam - the plants are too old now...we should have replaced them or used their sucker shoots ....and laid some kind of weed control cover to stop them rotting on the ground which most of them have done....but we didn't.


The blackcurrant bushes are lush and  huge - bursting out of their net cages - but so few berries - so disappointing as they are my absolute favourite berry for jam and ice cream and parfaits.


But far too many of these - red currants - my least favourite berry - too much hassle to prepare jelly  - but good mixed with strawberries ( if we had any) for jam. They do look like the most exquisite jewellery though -  strings of ruby necklaces decorating the bush ....


My husband's favourite posture  - getting down low to pick the red currants - I'm very grateful to him as it's my least favourite job -  especially as I want them to be black currants instead of what they are.

I felt squashed again today - fitting in everything back to back... 

Before breakfast taking photos of my husband's front passenger wheel of his car to send to the nice man at the breakers' yard who is trying to find me a second hand replacement allow wheel.....

Sitting with my husband in the office of our young clinical psychologist - all of us feeling sad and me feeling heavy and hopeless even though I know he's right when he advises loving kindness as the best and only solution ....

Eating a cheese scone, drinking a coffee on a low squashy sofa in a cafe before we take a round trip in the town to see the birds on the estuary - my husband coping well with a fire engine and police cars with sirens and flashing lights whizzing past us....

Cooking beetroot  and globe artichokes and a mound of broad beans for lunch while my husband sleeps....waiting for a call from Devon Carers...

Driving into town for my hour's Apple lesson on my computer - learning about the special effects I could add to my photos....

Dashing back in time  to sit with our lovely computer man and my husband in his office ( which I cleaned this morning before lunch) while he sorts out his blocked emails and low ink printer....

Having  two lovely long catch up phone calls.....

Trying to make supper in the changeover breaks in the exciting /sad tennis match where Rafael Nadal is getting defeated  by a young Australian wild card Nick Gregoris....

Sending/reading emails....

Sitting with my husband when he comes back from his ceramics class, while he eats his supper on a tray....

Writing this blog....and not spending any more time editing it....as my ankles are swelling up and  I want to go to bed early - early of me anyway -  at least before midnight....

No comments:

Post a Comment