Tuesday 22 July 2014

Just Sit There











Next door's pussy cat often sits in our garden....most often in one particular spot - in the agapanthus pot - which hasn't produced any flowers this year. I wonder if there's any connection...

Oliver Burkeman writes in the Saturday Guardian this week about humanity's long standing inability ( since the 17th century) to be alone with our own thoughts. He cites a recent study where some people when asked to sit alone for 6 - 15 minutes a room and just think would rather give themselves mild electric shocks than do that. It seems we are addicted to activity.

On Sunday when we came home from lovely afternoon tea with friends on Dartmoor, I just wanted to sit in the garden without tea or book and feel sun on my arms - and do nothing. On the way to the open patio doors I thought, 
I'll just get the green beans on to cook.... and chop an onion and the tomatoes and peel the garlic...... to make my favourite dish of the summer - Green Beans With Tomatoes....and while I'm at it I
 might as well pod the broad beans.... and grill the Halloumi....and then I'll go and sit in the sun.....

And so I get caught up in making supper....and never get to the chair in the sun.....

I realise I have no familiar groove to fall into  - of being alone with my thoughts - like I have a making supper groove.

All the spiritual teachers say that the way to feel more peaceful is through stillness....going inside and  being still......

At the end of his article Oliver Burkeman  says that it does help to be alone with your thoughts if you have more of a Bhuddist attitude to them - watching them and knowing they aren't real, they can't hurt you....rather than getting caught up in them and believing they are true.

I feel I could learn a lot from the pussy cat and instead of the electric shocks of 

Don't just sit there - DO SOMETHING, I could 

SIT THERE  - don't  just do something.


Sunday supper instead of sitting in the sun with me and my thoughts...

You can read Oliver Burkeman at 

Oliver BurkemanOliver Burkeman

No comments:

Post a Comment