Friday 6 June 2014

Birthday Mangoes and Marigolds


This morning I poach nectarines in pink elderflower syrup with strips of orange zest for my sister's birthday party tomorrow when all the family will gather to celebrate her 65th.....



Small rosy bottoms....






I've been waiting all week for this bowl of summer to ripen in my kitchen....




I bought these white 'donut" peaches in a Turkish grocer's ....




along with this pawpaw from Brazil and this mango from the Dominican Republic - waiting to be cut up for the tropical fruit salad ....the perfume of my African childhood on the kitchen table.




This afternoon my husband and I walk against the wind on the beach at Exmouth. This flag says it's dangerous to swim because of the strong currents...




but the wind surfers risk it...




I would too if I was a wind surfer....if I was young and strong.... on a perfect day like today.


We come home with a sprinkling of sand in our shoes....




This evening I go to the allotment to pick a bunch of marigolds the colour of mangoes and pawpaws....the perfume of the African childhood I share with my brother and my sisters who I'm so happy to see tomorrow.

Happy Birthday, dear Sister.



No comments:

Post a Comment