Wednesday 28 May 2014

Elderflower Cordial - Then and Now























To make the best elderflower cordial you are supposed to pick the flower heads on a hot dry day. I thought it would never stop raining but by Sunday evening the sky turned blue and we stopped at the allotment on our way home from Budleigh and gathered big fragrant bags of both pink and white and I put them in the fridge for later.

I know I've written about making pink elderflower cordial before. I trawled back through this blog and found seven references to it - the first one on 3rd June 2011 and the last one, with similar photos, on July 2nd 2013.

Reading the posts this is what struck me -

 How hot it was then in June and July and how cool and wet it was today at the end of May.

How much and also how little my husband has changed - not remembering or recognising the  colour or the flavour, or the word or the tree or the flower -  then and today.

Today he wants to drink the pink cordial neat without the fizzy water - like he did then. I say it's like drinking gin without the tonic. And he says, Yes so what? I like it.

The allotment was all his then - this morning he did go down and plant out some cabbage seedlings on his own while I had my One-to-One Apple lesson in town on my new computer, but that was the first time for ages.

And it struck me that although I'm afraid of repeating myself -  and I think I wrote better then -  by keeping on with this it's charting something, recording this journey with my husband  - the details of which I'd forget in an instant otherwise. Not that it matters really but sometimes it's good to compare and see how far we've travelled and where we got stuck on the way....

I did learn how to do a link on my blog today so here is my post from June 2011 - I hope.


http://trishcookingcurrie.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/gazebo-for-daschund.html

Just checked it and  it doesn't work to click on the underlined here but on the http link above instead....!

2 comments:

  1. I like your writing now! It sounds even more like you than it did before. And your blog does matter. For all of us. Who else is charting such a journey so honestly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are gem....you made my day..... bless you! X

    ReplyDelete