Tuesday 22 April 2014

The Wet, The Picnic, The Person I've Become, and The Roof




Easter Sunday - wet wet wet on Dartmoor.



We have a bowl of sweet potato soup in the NT's Parke Estate Home Farm Cafe and walk under  huge dripping trees, following the sweet curves of the river......the rain holds off for a while then starts again.....we get drenched and cold and I never warm up again even at home. 


Our bounteous shared picnic after lovely walk and talk with friends in Ashcombe Woods on Monday.... with the sun on our faces and on the buttered Hot Cross Buns.


Back home while my husband sleeps, I cut the grass and take photos of the bluebells which have sprung  up at the base of the apple tree in a deep blue fairy ring.




This is the colour of the  sky beyond the apple blossom, staining the whole kitchen a glorious pinky  mauve while we sit at the table finishing our salmon supper.
 Before he gets up my husband says,

 I don't like this person I've become.
What kind of person?
One who has to go to bed at 8 o'clock and I've already been asleep for  more than 2 hours this afternoon.
It's not you. Your brain needs the rest. You are still you.

But I don't think he believes me.


Today is all about the roof....and the chimneys.....  and the flanges and the valleys....and the water coming in through the firewalls and leaving big damp stains on our walls inside....


The neighbours on both sides and the builder and the roofer are in and out of the house all day - discussing it and climbing ladders and taking photos. Then the neighbour and I look at the photos on my computer and we



debate the quote and decide to get another roofer to have a look.......and I just want it all to go away and someone else to decide what to do. But I have to be grown up now -  that's the person I've become - probably for the best....

No comments:

Post a Comment