Wednesday 23 April 2014

Blog Then Blog Now

In the garden this evening....








I started writing this blog 4 years ago.   In my archives I see that my first post was on Tuesday 20th April 2010. Inspired by my niece 
( who now lives in Beirut and is now a mother) I was only going to do it for 21 days - which is how long it takes to change a habit apparently. I wanted to get into the habit of writing every day. I wanted to become a better writer. I wanted to find a way to record the ordinary moments of my life without it being a diary or dumping ground for whingeing....

Not sure what happened to those ambitions......feel as if I've been through a few blogging incarnations ......my father was alive and thriving then in April 2010, and our pussy cat....we were eating our own asparagus form the allotment for lunch.........and I didn't know my husband would be diagnosed with a brain disease 6 months later.... and that my world would splinter forever ......

But what I do know is that writing this has been the one constant way of connecting myself to myself......and I wouldn't have continued without the amazing support of all the people reading me. Even people I don't know. I saw on my stats the other day that I had 12 pageviews in Moldova....and there is someone in Russia.... and China..... and Indonesia. Astonishing.

Today, while my husband sketched and painted with a friend in her garden, with his permission, my sister and I  pulled open the filing cabinets in his office, scooped up armfuls of papers in plastic folders from his old working life and started the long process of reading, sorting and chucking out the archives of the past.

After our grilled asparagus and egg mayo sandwich lunch we made photo collages of New Zealand  and stuck them into frames as a late surprise birthday present for my husband. So now we have some recent memories, captured forever, on the walls in the kitchen - all that bright, shining turquoise blue happiness beaming down on us while we eat our supper every night.




No comments:

Post a Comment