Thursday 20 March 2014

In The Round


In the grounds of a NT's house, A la Ronde, at Exmouth -  these sawn up logs had a strong sweet smell of almonds....




Cheese wedges come to mind..




Diamonds....




 I love it that the architect chose hearts to ring the chimneys....




 In the small garden around the house -  a grandfather tree with solitary crow...




A la Ronde, near Exmouth - a sixteen-sided house built for two women cousins - Jane and Mary Parminter  - about 1796.

I still miss my wonderful cleaner - keeping the dust at bay every week. Now it's up to me. I've been feeling burdened by the enormity of the housework I don't do. My husband does a great hoovering job on a Monday and that's about it.
Yesterday I stood in the kitchen talking to the plumber for a long time while he drained the boiler. While we chatted I  cleaned and polished the sink. It looks so much better. And ridiculously I feel so much better. So now I've caught the spring cleaning bug and I want to make the whole kitchen shine - within the boundaries of its ten year old shabbiness anyway.

It feels like it would take whole days and days to do ....and I don't have the luxury of that. But this morning when my husband comes back from walking with his lovely supporter from Age UK, he goes for a lie down before lunch. And while he sleeps, and my tummy rumbles, I clean a few sticky cupboard doors and wash the dusty teapots on the shelves and contemplate the state of the oven.

And I realise I can do incremental, mini-spring cleaning - one crumb-speckled drawer, one smeary window, one finger-marked door at a time.  Little bites instead of great gulps.....Which means instead of spending all afternoon scrubbing the kitchen - which I was planning to do - I can spend it with my husband whose ceramic class is cancelled.

 Time together - resentful free - feels precious now. And I know I'll still have a clean kitchen somehow -  even if it's not now or all in one go. 

So this afternoon we wander through the tiny, cluttered, shell-filled rooms of A la Ronde House in the half light and just manage a circular tour of the spring gardens before great gusts of rain splatter out of the white-out sky and we run into the basement cafe, which once was the kitchen, for a cup of tea - and a very mediocre slice of carrot cake.

 And I didn't once wish I was at home shining my kitchen sink.








4 comments:

  1. Trish your Blog and especially your photographs are really terrific.. what a talent you have for shaing your self and seeing beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Estelle - that means so much to me....X

      Delete
  2. There used to be a homily/saw/advise about cleaning (which I can't remember), something about if you only have limited time to do the cleaning then clean out the grate, straighten the antimacassas (sp?) and the cushions....and various other tasks, none of which are done by either Mrs. Sage or me. We go by 'clean enough to be healthy, but dirty enough to be happy'. Although a window cleaning session was undertaken last week- which involved a portable scaffold (!); enough spring cleaning for one season, we thought! One extra task at a time seems a very good answer- but only aim to get them all done by NEXT spring,,,,or the one after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Sage - that is very comforting to know! And I am going to leave the windows to our window cleaner with his own version of portable scaffolding! X

      Delete