Monday 24 March 2014

Are You Sure You Don't Want Anything To Eat?

At Coleton Fishacre House and Gardens near Kingswear, South Devon, on Saturday Morning.



Magnolia blooms coming to the end of their petal life...




Giant snowdrops?......Leucojum ?



Into the depths of Camellia...




 View from the bottom of the garden at Coleton Fishacre...




Snake's head Fritillary...




The beginnings of Gunnera....




Fire of Cotoneaster...


Saturday evening 7.30

You discover me in the dark sitting room, in my tangle of blankets, wrapped around the hot water bottle you filled for me after we got home after our trip to Coleton Fishacre ( which you read as Fishcake and which makes me laugh).

You : How are you feeling?
Me : Sick. Will you pull the curtains and come and talk to me for a bit?
You : Of course. Your face is long and crumpled and worried. Can I get you anything? Do you want some supper?
Me : No I don't want to throw up again. Will you make yourself some cheese on toast?
You: Is there any bacon?
Me: In the freezer, but I don't want to show you how to make French Toast now.
You: No, but I could just have the bacon.
Me:  The smell of cooking bacon would make me feel more sick right now.
You: I could fry it.
Me: That would be worse.
You : Do you want the fire on?
Me : No, I'm burning hot already.
You: Are you sure you don't want anything to eat?
Me: You could bring me a glass of water.
I think about asking you to bring me some paracetamol but I can't remember if it's in a red or a blue packet or which drawer it's in and you don't know what it is anyway.
Me: Really, when I'm sick I just want to be left alone.
You: I understand.
Me: Do you? Do you want to be left alone when you are sick?
You: No, but I know we're different. Basically you are saying F**** Off.
Me: Just for a bit. While I concentrate on not vomiting.
You: I'll make some supper then. Shall I eat it in here or in the kitchen?
Me: Kitchen, please.
You: Are you sure you don't want anything to eat?

Then you bring me some water and close the door so I can't smell the toast or hear Mamma Mia on the CD player. Thank you for thinking of that. And for leaving me alone for a little while.  Sometimes NOT doing something is more helpful than doing something.......


No comments:

Post a Comment