Thursday 21 November 2013

Shopping



Madeira....


Wells, Somerset....


Algarve, Portugal


Rocamadour, SW France

Today I shop all day
Till my feet hurt in my unloved boots
And my shoulders ache from carrying bulging baskets.

A grey skinned Crown Prince Squash and eggs in the farmers' market.
A 2014 diary and coloured pens in WH Smith.
Slipper socks, a Church candle, a brownie tin in TKMAXX.
Baked beans, grapefruit, olive oil in Sainsbury's.
Smoked salmon, dark chocolate and whole almonds in Aldi....
just for example.

Some things are on the list, 3 lists actually,
And some things aren't.

I suddenly discover I need all these things I'd forgotten about till I see them.... I haven't been shopping for so long....
Bright.... sparkly..... soft.... useful..... or  replacements.... or little gifts....... Christmas coming....the next birthday..... spilling off the shelves like a cascade of musical notes playing my favourite songs...

Pulling me in.....till my purse is empty and the boot of my car is full.

As if I didn't have anything to do with it.

And now to find somewhere to put it all....







No comments:

Post a Comment